Piglets was originally an old Essex tithe barn and was part of Hodges Farm (which is situated just behind Piglets) which Max’s mother and father bought whilst serving in the RAF in 1944.
To keep themselves going during the post war years, the barn was converted into a Piggery, with pigs upstairs and down and free ranging across Hodges small holding and eventually growing to around 450 Wessex Saddle Backs and Large Whites.
Our Large White Board ‘Billy Bembo’ circa 1964.
In 1968 the remaining pigs and farm equipment were sold (see poster opposite) along with “Billy Bembo” who lived in the ‘Stockade’ which is now our games room.
From then the building housed the luxury board gaming business of the Parker family with up to 25 locals producing the Company’s hand made goods.
Then in 1994 the building was converted yet again, and this time into Max’s home (the current blue building known as ‘Old Piglets’) and then following his marriage to Chrissie, the home was extended in 2019 to encompass the B&B accommodation you can enjoy now.